15 February 1968
The first meeting of the Erewash Canal Preservation and Development Association took place on 15 February 1968
The elected committee were; Chairman - R.V.F. Torrington Esq, Secretary - R.J Godwin Esq, and Treasurer - J. Stevenson Esq. Other committee members were representatives from; Local Authorities that the canal passed through, anglers, boat clubs, householders, commercial interests, Sea Scouts, Inland Waterways Association, and Sports and Youth Councils.
The Treasurer arranged a meeting for 24 February with Mr Trevor Parks MP, to whom he handed over a petition with 1700 signatures of local people objecting to the proposed closure.
Other items discussed included a survey of the canal, the erection of a board at Trent Lock outlining the facilities available on the canal. Cruises and rallies were discussed and it was agreed that they should be held in the closed season between 15 March and 16 June to avoid clashing with fishing matches.
It was agreed that sub-committees should be set-up to deal with the following; Rallies, Publicity and Angling.
The date of the next meeting was set for 7:30pm 14 March 1968.